Paul and I are so grateful for our families and close friends for taking care of Sophie during this time of "rest" for me. I am so thankful for my wonderful husband who has had to take on both mom and dad roles on the weekends with caring for Sophie, doing laundry, doing yard work, and shopping. I am so blessed to have the best family and friends in the world!
A lot of people have been asking me what a typical day on hospital bedrest looks like, so here is a glimpse of a "normal" day here:
Between 6:30-7:30am: nurse wakes me up with my morning medicine ( I try to go back to sleep)
Btw 7:30-8am: nurse tech comes in to weigh me (go back to sleep)
Btw 8-8:20am: breakfast arrives but I typically don't sit up to eat until close to 9am (As you can see, I'm not much of a morning person so fully waking up is hard to do. I need to work on that before our trio comes home!)
Btw: 8:45-9:30: on MWF, ultrasound tech comes to my room to perform a BPP (biophysical profile) on the babies. This usually lasts about 15 mins. I have a growth ultrasound every 3 weeks which takes about 30 minutes.
9am: nurse brings me iron pill
Btw 9:30-10am: Maternal-Fetal Specialist comes to see me on MWF and discuss any issues that might be going on.
10amish: on T and Th, nurse comes to monitor all 3 babies and contractions. We have to find and record all 3 babies heartbeats at the same time for 5 mins....this usually takes about 20-30 mins
total bc our sweet babes like to move around and avoid the monitors. ;)
Btw 10-10:30am: shower while nurse tech changes my sheets
Btw 10:45-11:30am: housekeeping comes to clean my room
11:45-12:15: lunch arrives
Btw 1-4pm: either have music relaxation (on M for about 20-30 mins), mom2mom class (on T for an hr), Breastfeeding/NICU class (on Th for an hr), Happy Tails pet therapy (on F for 20 mins), and the rest of the time I read, watch tv, crochet, surf the internet, eat a snack
4pm: nurse tech comes to take my vitals
4:15pm: nurse comes to monitor babies heartbeats, just for a minute each this time
4:45pm: dinner arrives.....yes, dinner at 4:45pm! It is a bit ridiculous, but I know I should be grateful for dinner considering there are starving people in this world. I usually wait to eat until 5:30-6pm.
7-7:30: shift change and night nurse comes in briefly to check on me
9pm: nurse brings me all my vitamins
9:30pm: nurse monitors all 3 babies heartbeats and contractions for 5 mins, but takes 30 mins
10:15pm: nurse tech takes my vitals
11pm: I get hooked up to my SCD's (sequential compression devices) that I have to wear on my legs to help prevent blood clots while I sleep. While I have gotten use to wearing these for the most part, they make me very hot and the hoses attached to them usually get tangled in the covers or caught on the side of the bed...annoying.
I am having a very hard time sleeping nowadays. I have to rotate laying on my sides about every 30 mins now bc my hips start killing me. And turning from side to side is very painful on my back and pelvis. I also have to go to the bathroom about 3x/night. So needless to say, I don't rest or sleep well these days. I am being prepared for all the sleepless nights with the babies at home.
Here is a random list of numbers pertaining to my time on bedrest so far:
2........months bedrest total (63 days, 1,512 hrs)....but who's counting?!
50......days hospital bedrest
17.......ultrasounds (in the hospital)
170.....times my vital signs have been taken in the hospital (taken 3x/day and then every hour when I was on IV meds)
54........visitors who have come to see me at the hospital
6..........weeks or less until we meet our trio (I feel like a ticking time bomb waiting to go in full labor)
12........limbs moving around in my belly almost all day
3..........sweet babies in my womb
1...........awesome God who has sustained us and kept these babies healthy and growing
1 comment:
Crazy to think of all that has happened since you wrote this post! You've held your three little babies and gone home to your sweet husband and Sophie! WOW! It was quite the stay for you and I'm so glad that God brought you as far as He did. Thanks for blogging about it all... you will be glad to look back at it one day and remember this time of "rest". LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment